What is LinkedIn jail and how to avoid it — here is our 2022 guide.
- Connection request limits 2022
- What is Social Selling Index
- How to improve SSI
- LinkedIn Jail: how to keep your account safe
LinkedIn is a platform designed to help professionals to connect.
It’s very important that you have your LinkedIn profile properly optimized and show your activity through building connections, engaging in posts and building your name in the community of professionals.
LinkedIn encourages social selling but prefers you not break the line into being “sales-y.”
The platform has policies in place to stop behavior that other people may find abusive.
If you start being intrusive or use any unreliable automation tools, the platform may apply restrictions to your account.
Most sales reps just take LinkedIn for granted and start making chaotic campaigns. It doesn’t work like this in social sales. Until you establish a name in your industry, the line between selling and pitching will remain thin.
There are many reasons for the LinkedIn ban. The most common would be sending too many invitations to people you don’t know — especially in a short period of time from a newly created account.
LinkedIn connection request limits 2022
The number of connection requests you’re allowed to send is calculated based on your Social Selling Index score, but here’s a general rule:
|LinkedIn invitation limits = max 100 invites per week|
If your Social Selling Index score is higher than 80, then you might be able to send more than 100 connection requests. However, we do not recommend exceeding this limit.
- Don’t send too many requests in a row — if you send too many requests in a short period of time, your account may get banned even if you stay within the 100-per-week limit
- Introduce yourself in a connection message and explain why you’d want to join their network
- Add a signature with your name
- Cancel long-pending invitations
- Personalize your outreach smartly (Learn how to do it with Closely)
Send 10-15 connection requests per day
If you’re just getting started, your goal is to avoid attracting the platform’s attention with unusual activity.
By launching automated campaigns with Closely, you can be sure you won’t go over the limit.
Closely sends from ANY account during a warm-up period per day:
- 10 connection requests & messages in first 1-5 days
- Up to 20 connection requests & messages (5-15 days)
- Up to 30 connection requests & messages (15-25 days)
- Up to 50 connection requests & messages (after 25 days)
The tool won’t send too many requests in a row because it uses a warm-up period and completely mimics human behavior in order to divert suspicion.
Social Selling Index
What is a Social Selling Index?
Social Selling Index is a score given by LinkedIn that defines how well you establish your professional brand, build connections and communicate.
The point of it is to empower salespeople with the knowledge of how good they are at social selling and inspire them to become better.
In simple words, LinkedIn allows certain people to be more active on the platform, while restricting others from any sales activity. SSI is a decisive point here.
- People with high SSI are less likely to get banned.
- If your SSI score is higher than 80, you can sometimes send more than 100 requests per week.
Where to check my SSI?
You can check your score in Sales Navigator.
Four pillars of LinkedIn SSI
Surely, LinkedIn doesn’t exactly outline the criteria that constitute its Social Selling Index and how they are assessed.
However, it’s generally accepted that the following things affect SSI score:
– Established professional brand
Because you’re in sales, you’re reaching out to a completely different audience. You want to appeal to prospects, not hiring managers and recruiters.
You don’t want to show them that you’re selling something. What you want them to learn from your account is how successfully you have helped other companies to solve similar problems.
- Complete your LinkedIn profile with your ideal client in mind
- Fill out personal information, add skills, education
- Tailor your profile to indicate how your product/service can solve the problem of targets
- Write a distinctive & memorable profile headline
- Create a custom profile URL
- Add rich media to the featured section of your profile
- Become a trusted advisor: post about three times more educational materials than product or company information.
Compelling profiles with a lot of useful and visually appealing content boost engagement from people who visit it and increase your SSI.
– Finding right people
Having a clear definition of your buyer persona or Ideal Customer Profile (ICP) is a must-have if you’re serious about prospecting on LinkedIn.
Closely includes robust search tools to help you find your ideal client and build better connections.
By applying filters that match your ICP, you reach a more narrow audience and have better chances to generate SQL (sales-qualified-leads) as opposed to knocking on the doors of people who don’t need your solution at the moment.
– Engage with insights
Once you have connected through LinkedIn, it’s time to engage in conversations, share ideas, join groups and become better acquainted with your contacts.
The aim is to look like a guy who stays in the know on timely content.
- Leverage industry data
- Find groups that are relevant to your market
- Share insights and provide helpful advice in comments
– Build relationships
Building relationships is all about offering advice and expertise without pitching.
- Think long-term and don’t sell from first, second and third message
- Try to leave a positive impression after any kind of conversation
- Engage in discussions and provide your advice
- Identify measurable results from your social selling efforts and adjust your outreach strategy if necessary
Real-time data and insights are increasingly crucial for sales planning today. Closely allows you to instantly see how well your campaigns perform so you can take quick actions.
By improving your outreach strategy with helpful insights at your disposal, you decrease chances of being treated as intrusive and boost your reply rate and SSI.
If your account got banned, here are common reasons why it could have happened.
- You send too many connection requests.
- You reply rate is low
- You used some automation tools (primarily extensions) and got flagged for suspicious activity
The last point is the most common reason people get banned. LinkedIn has an extremely strained relationship with Chrome extensions: in fact, they are all detected very quickly and lead to account ban in 90% of cases.
Closely is a cloud-based automation platform that allows you to run campaigns in the background with no risk of getting banned.
What to do if you get banned?
Depending on the type of restriction, you might be able to appeal against it. Usually, LinkedIn warns you prior to sending your account to jail.
For instance, If you use an extension, LinkedIn will first send a warning message and ask you to stop using it.
If you ignore it, your account is likely to end up in LinkedIn jail.
Steps to take to get your account out of jail:
- Try to verify your account with your cell phone number
- Create a ticket with LinkedIn support and ask them to help you out
- If nothing helps, simply wait until your access is restored
Establishing relationships and a professional brand, solidifying yourself as a trusted expert advisor is a bullet-proof way for you to influence B2B decision-makers and stand out from competition.
Social selling is no longer a strategy or an experiment.
It is the norm.
Close more deals in less time on LinkedIn with highly personalized automated campaigns.
Closely helps you forge relationships with prospects by building and adjusting highly-performing automated campaigns. And not only this 😎